Are you having friends and/or family over to the Holidays? Are you hosting an office event? Here are a few simple suggestions that will help you make sure that your guests have a great time but most importantly that they are safe.
Plan ahead! Before the party begins make sure that you plan options for getting your guests home safely. For example, one or more guests can agree to act as designated drivers, staying until the party ends and driving others home. Also, have local taxi service numbers available for your guest and find out if there’s a safe ride program in your community.
- Always serve plenty of food. It slows the rate at which the body absorbs alcohol.
- If you plan on serving alcoholic beverages, make sure that you have non-alcoholic beverages as well. You can create a festive non-alcoholic punch for those guests who choose not to drink alcohol.
- Designate a “bartender” who can make sure that drinks are mixed in sensible portions and keep an eye on how much everyone is drinking. Remember, alcohol is alcohol. A standard serving of beer (12 ounces), distilled spirits (1.5 ounces) and wine (5 ounces) each have the same amount of alcohol!
- Close your “bar” early to allow your guests time before they have to drive home. Serve food, coffee or non-alcoholic beverages during this time. Keep your guests entertained, and if they have been drinking, make sure they're good to drive.
- It should go without saying, but do NOT serve alcohol to anyone who is under 21.
We can all do our part to make sure that this Holiday season is a safe one!