The Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility is honored to be a sponsor of the National Law Enforcement Challenge Awards breakfast today in San Diego, California. The International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) , working collaboratively with the National Sheriffs’ Association (NSA) and the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), through a cooperative agreement with the National Highway Traffic Administration (NHTSA), have joined forces to support this data-driven traffic enforcement awards program that reduces social harms in communities and neighborhoods nationwide.
Today, more than 75 law enforcement agencies will receive awards recognizing their efforts in reducing impaired driving and speeding and increasing occupant protection.
The winner of the most prestigious award, the Clayton J. Hall Memorial Award, is Habersham County Sheriff’s Office (HCSO) in Georgia. In 2011, the HCSO’s efforts resulted in an increase in seat belt usage to 94 percent and a reduction in fatal crashes by 50 percent. The HCSO has implemented the following efforts and programs to save lives:
- Establishment of a dedicated traffic enforcement unit
- Data-driven approach to target enforcement in high-collision areas
- High visibility enforcement efforts to prevent impaired driving and increase occupant protection
- Participation in a regional traffic enforcement network
- Daily child safety car seat inspections
- Car seat checkpoints
- Driver safety education program for youth
- Underage drinking education efforts that have reached more than 3,000 children
- Facebook and website postings to educate the public
The Clayton J. Hall Memorial Award is presented annually to the law enforcement agency that submits the most comprehensive traffic safety program. This special award honors the memory of Clayton J. Hall, a highway safety leader who helped develop the law enforcement challenge concept and many other innovative programs.
On this special day, The Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility is proud to honor the National Law Enforcement Challenge award recipients and salutes all law enforcement officers who dedicate their lives to maintaining our safety.