The Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility leads the fight to eliminate drunk driving and underage drinking and promotes responsible decision-making regarding beverage alcohol.
The Foundation researches current trends and develops policy initiatives regarding impaired driving, underage drinking, teen driver safety, and healthy lifestyles. Over the years we have worked alongside coalition partners to support effective legislation in more than 45 states and at the federal level. Additionally, we team up with elected officials and other partners to launch our prevention programs and have held more than 3,000 community events across the nation. We also serve as a resource to traffic safety advocates and policymakers on impaired driving, teen driver safety and underage drinking issues.
More than 20 years of leadership:
1990s: Supported the passage of administrative license revocation as well as zero tolerance laws for minors who drink and drive
1997: The Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility created The National Hardcore Drunk Driver Project to address high BAC and repeat offender drunk drivers
2000: Worked with MADD to support .08 BAC laws and comprehensive efforts to stop drunk driving.
2001: Advanced blood alcohol content (BAC) education with B4U Drink
2003: Developed first-of-its kind Hardcore DWI Judicial Education Guide. Trained more than 3,000 judges in over 40 states.
2005-2011: Developed prosecutorial, probation/parole education guides
2012: Developed Promising Criminal Justice Programs Guide
2014: Released the Hardcore DUI law enforcement training guide, supported mandatory ignition interlocks for all convicted DUI offenders,
2015: Coming soon -- A state of the art alcohol assessment tool developed by The Cambridge Health Alliance, an affiliate of Harvard Medical School and a juvenile justice education guide for underage alcohol violations
We support a wide-array of countermeasures to eliminate drunk driving including:
- A national legal limit of .08 blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and other comprehensive efforts
- BAC education and public awareness efforts
- Stricter penalties, treatment, and aftercare for hardcore drunk drivers
- Comprehensive alcohol assessment for all DUI offenders
- BAC test refusal penalties
- Continuous alcohol monitoring systems for repeat offenders
- Driver alcohol detection system for safety DWI Courts
- Education for judges, prosecutors, probation/parole, law enforcement officers and law school students
- Graduated driver licensing laws for teen drivers
- High BAC limits at .15 and above
- High visibility enforcement efforts
- Mandatory ignition interlock devices for all convicted DUI offenders
- No refusal programs
- Open container restrictions
- Plea bargaining restrictions
- Pre-trial actions for repeat offenders
- Repeat offender penalties
- Staggered sentencing
- 24/7 programs for repeat DWI offenders
For more information on our public policy efforts, please contact Devin Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org